Claudia Schiffer German pronunciation: [ˈklaʊ̯dɪa ˈʃɪfɐ] (born 25 August 1970) is a German model and Creative Director of her clothing label.. Schiffer rose to popularity and became a household name during the early 1990s as one of the world's most successful models. In her early career, there were many comparisons drawn to her resemblance to Brigitte Bardot. She has appeared on over 700 magazine covers and continues to front global campaigns for luxury fashion and fragrance houses. In 2002, Forbes estimated her net worth at about US$55 million (£38 million).
Early in her career, Schiffer was romantically linked to a number of celebrities including Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora, Prince Albert of Monaco and singer Peter Gabriel.
Schiffer was engaged to magician David Copperfield for about five years from 1994 until 1999. They first met in 1993 at one of Copperfield's shows in Germany, where Schiffer was invited on stage to take part in his 'Flying' illusion. While they were engaged, Schiffer sometimes appeared on stage with Copperfield to act as his special guest assistant in a number of illusions including being levitated, guillotined and sawed in half. In 1997, Copperfield and Schiffer both sued Paris Match after the magazine claimed their relationship was a stunt, that Schiffer was paid for pretending to be Copperfield's fiancée and that she didn't even like him. In 1999, Schiffer won an undisclosed sum and a retraction from Paris Match when a French court ruled that the magazine's story was false. Copperfield's publicist confirmed that while Schiffer had a contract to appear in the audience at Copperfield's show in Berlin where they met, she was not under contract to be his "consort".
Following her break-up with Copperfield, she had a short relationship with art dealer and Green Shield Stamp heir Tim Jefferies.
On 25 May 2002, she married the film director Matthew Vaughn in Suffolk. Schiffer and Vaughn have three children: son Caspar Matthew (born 30 January 2003, Westminster, London), daughter Clementine Poppy (born 11 November 2004, Westminster), and a second daughter, Cosima Violet (born 14 May 2010).
Schiffer had two significant problems with harassment in the past. In 2002, an Italian kitchen porter was arrested after making nine visits to Schiffer's £5 million Coldham Hall mansion near Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, attempting to see her. Charges against him were dropped however, as he was sectioned under the Mental Health Act. He believed that the Pope had told him to marry Schiffer. In 2004, a Canadian man was accused of harassing Schiffer, also at her mansion in Suffolk. He called at her mansion in the hope of seeing her. He also repeatedly left letters at her home.
In 2006, Schiffer and her husband were twice spoken to by officers from the local Suffolk police force after a number of incidents involving their two dogs, an Irish wolfhound and a German shepherd, and local people using the public footpath across the grounds of their Coldham Hall home. These included severely mauling a Jack Russell being walked on the footpath, chasing deer on the estate, intimidating people using the footpath, and biting one of the local postmen.
Claudia was 17 years old when she was discovered by Michel Levaton of the Metropolitan agency in a Düsseldorf nightclub where she was celebrating a friend's birthday. Until then, she had always intended to become a lawyer like her father.- Claudia has produced a series of fitness videos entitled 'Claudia Schiffer's Perfectly Fit' and an autobiography called 'Memories'.
- She was also featured in Peter Lindbergh's book '10 Women' and the book 'A second decade of Guess? images'.
- Along with fellow models Karen Mulder and Naomi Campbell, she has a toy doll made in her likeness.
- Claudia had a cameo role in the film 'Richie Rich' and has also appeared in 'The Blackout', with Matthew Modine and Beatrice Dalle, 'Friends and Lovers', opposite Robert Downey Jnr., 'Desperate But Not Serious', 'Wayne's World', 'In Pursuit', 'Chain of fools', 'Waiting for Genevieve', 'Black and White', co-starring Ben Stiller and 'Life without Dick'.
- She is a part owner in the Fashion Café restaurant chain with Naomi Campbell and Elle MacPherson.
- Claudia holds the record for appearing on the most magazine covers (over 700).
- A wax statue of her appears in the Grévin Museum in Paris.
- Claudia appears in the music video "Say it isn't so" by Bon Jovi.
- She didn't get her ears pierced until she was 35, when she had them done especially for her Autumn/Winter 2006 Accessorize advertising campaign.